Monday, March 31, 2008

1st attempt at Double Knitting

Over the weekend I started knitting the Uncle Argyle scarf from Debbie Stoller's Son of Stitch n Bitch book. I'm using 4 skeins of Bernat Wool Blend - 2 in 'Wood' (brown) and 2 in 'Slate' (grey).

This double knitting thing is quite tricky - I've had to frog and restart this project 3 times just to get this far! But, as of today, it's 1/14 done. I've also made a few mistakes along the way - I think I've figured out how to correct them with a crochet hook rather than having to refrog it.

It's awesome - I think - having both sides of a scarf turn out with two 'nice sides' instead of one knit and one purled side. Although it's tedious having to carry both strands back and forth to knit every stitch. But, the end result looks great! And, at this rate, I've got a few ideas for double-knit argyle-esque future patterns.

Once I get my hand good at it, I can hopefully make a few by the end of the year to hand out as December-holiday gifts.

No comments: