Sunday, April 29, 2007

the rhubarb in my garden

My husband and I have been fortunate enough to move into a house that actually has a back yard ~ and for the 2 summers that we've so far had it, this coming summer being our third, there's been a bush of rhubarb that keeps coming up. It's been untouched, uneaten, and heaven only knows how it keeps growing because I haven't paid much attention to it, other than my constantly saying how I ought to make something with it.

So, this year I'm getting my butt in gear and I'm actually doing something about this rhubarb. (This is largely inspired by the fact that we're renovating our kitchen, and installing a brand new oven! whoot!)

I like the idea of making preserves. I grew up with my mother and grandmother making tons of preserves with fruit that grew in their gardens, and figure I ought to get myself taught on doing preserves too. And, garden-grown preserves always make awesome December-holiday gifts, right?

I've found already 4 different rhubarb-preserves recipes online. If anyone out there in blogland has a tried-and-true-favourite-family-rhubarb-preserve recipe, I'd love it if you could share it in the comments. :)

I'll be sure to post pictures of my progress when I get around to making a few jars!

3 comments:

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

My maternal grandmother makes rhubarb jam every year. It's delicious but I don't have the recipe. I'll try and remember to get hold of it for you.

alyssa said...

Thanks for the congrats on my blog!

I highly recommend baking a Strawberry Rhubarb pie. So good! The strawberries and the rhubarb balance each other out really nicely. You can find lots of recipe online.

Kathleen said...

Wah! I wish I had a backyard. I love rhubarb pie, too.