Friday, January 5, 2007

knits for charity

Sorry, no pics for this post.

I just wanted to voluntarily plug this knitting charity: http://www.fireprojects.org/dulaan.htm “The Dulaan Project is a cooperative effort of Flagstaff International Relief Effort (FIRE), Mossy Cottage Knits, and the Kunzang Palyul Choling (KPC) Buddhist community of Sedona. The project seeks to inspire the generous spirit of the knitting community to help meet the urgent needs of Mongolia's impoverished people.” (quote from site)

I've already collected knit and crochet items made from scraps of yarn from my own basket, as well as collected knit and crochet items that friends, family, and fellow posters from www.hipforums.com had sent me, also made from their yarn leftovers. I sent a box out with a total of 40 items on December 30th, which should go to their next visit to Mongolia during this upcoming summer.

Anyone who knits has yarn leftovers anyway. Combine 3 or 4 colours. Combine 8 different kinds of yarn. Just weave it together somehow and send it to them, they need it.

Out of the 40 items from that package, I think I only made (at most) 15 items, so people in my social circle and at www.hipforums.com, that's a very huge contribution on all their parts, so thanks!

I currently have another box that's 90% full, which I'll easily be able to top up with 1 or 2 more items and send to them.

Knit for your local charities. But, also knit for more impoverish countries. As sad as it is that we have people who are at/below the poverty line in Canada/USA, we at least have the benefit of having things like welfare, food stamps, soup kitchens, good health care, thrift stores etc to help those in need. Countries like Mongolia don't have these priviledges, and their poverty population is considerably higher than ours.

No comments: